Thursday, March 5, 2009

mama drama

This week was a bit of drama since we decided to pull Veronica out of the British school and move her to the American school. Not that we didn't like the British school, we really did and Veronica looked so cute in her uniform and was developing quite an English accent (which Natalie has almost perfected). The problem was that she was in Year 1, which was doing work equivalent to 1st grade but the kids were same age as K in the States. Our biggest concern was with her Sept birthday, would she be held back a year when we got back? Who knows. It was a tough decision but before she got too comfy at British School, it was off to the Shanghai American School, which is also walking distance from our "compound".

Interestingly, there are only 1-2 "Western" kids in each class at SAS - most of the other kids are Korean or Chinese, although the Chinese must hold a US passport. I am attending a wedding shower for one of the teachers today so I will try to get the scoop on where everyone comes from. SAS is a great school, with a fabulous campus, and as I am learning, an outstanding Mandarin program.

Speaking of which, I am into my second week of language class and trying to pick up as much as I can. Its hilarious listening to myself speak chinese (hilarious to chinese people too, trust me). If you are only reading pinyin (english spelling, ie - wo qu Xing Li Du - I am going to starbucks), its not that complicated. Chinese characters are another story, we'll see how I do with that. I would like to continue as long as I can, especially so I can tell if the girls are talking about me behind my back!

Brooklyn has also been in Asia this week. My friend Ellen's sister, Kerry, came to visit us and got a huge kick out of the compound and my life here in the Scottsdale Home for Expat Retirees. Maria's husband is meeting Jed for dinner tonight in Hong Kong, where he has been all week.

Saturday night, we have inexplicably been invited to the black tie Benelux Chamber of Commerce Ball in downtown Shanghai, which will be an event, I'm sure. The sun has finally come out so I will try to take some pictures around town and the compound. Hope everyone is well!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Jean passed on your blog to me--what an experience! Can I use your driver when you don't need him? I get what you're saying about the year 1/ K thing. I see it the other way around at BCS--Brits come over and are surprised that American schools are moving at a slower pace. It all evens out by 5th/6th, but sounds like you made a good decision!
    Ben

    ReplyDelete